Friday, May 14, 2010

In the book of wisdom called Tao Te Ching, Lao Tzu says "The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step."

We have all heard this somewhere before and nodded, thinking, Well,  ...duh.  We never really think of it in terms of facing a crossroads or a crisis in life, or maybe we do if we're into Chinese wisdom.  It hit me today as I sat on the internet searching baking sites and bread-making techniques and thinking to myself that I can't possibly learn all of this stuff.  I was overwhelmed to the point of panic.  So, take a deep breath, calm down and pick one thing.  Just one.  Try to make it.  If it's successful and good, then keep making it and add one more thing.

Any skill we develop, anything at all we learn to master, begins with that first step.  I am going to keep a date log of every loaf of bread I bake, with a photo, until I reach 1000.  When I am done, I will be able to look back to the first day, the first loaf, and remember how I thought I couldn't do it and realize that I did do it.

Take that first step, whatever it is and go for it.  Dare to do something new.

No comments:

Post a Comment